Re: Proposed Design Principles updated

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 08:36:02 -0700
Cc: public-html@w3.org
To: Murray Maloney <murray@muzmo.com>

On Apr 3, 2007, at 5:41 AM, Murray Maloney wrote:

>> * Good practice: Separation of content, presentation, interaction
>> A specification SHOULD allow authors to separate content from both
>> presentation and interaction concerns.
>>
>> (Covered by Mostly Semantic Markup, currently disputed.)
>
> This design principle is one that I can live with, whereas "Mostly
> Semantic Markup"
> is not one that I can live with.
>
> I can support a design principle that calls for separation. This is
> the same principle
> that has been at play since the earliest days of markup -- GML,
> SGML, XML.
> This is one of the key design principles that led to the creation
> of markup.
>
> However, the phrase "Mostly Semantic Markup" is overloaded. After
> all, <b>
> has semantics and it facilitates for the separation of content and
> presentation.
> But I suspect that the proponents of "Mostly Semantic Markup"
> aren't saying
> that they want more <b>-like elements in HTML.

I'm not sure I understand this. Isn't <b> traditionally considered
more presentational than semantic? And doesn't it put presentation in
the content? Seems like both principles lean against adding more <b>-
like elements. And it seems to me like we want to avoid <b>-like
elements. So I'm not sure what the difference is.