Re: argument for deprecating BLOCKQUOTE in canonical HTML/XHTML

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 00:03:41 +0200, Murray Maloney <murray@muzmo.com>
wrote:

> A BLOCKQUOTE is a distinguished paragraph.

Visually, right?

> It is presentational markup in the same sense that <P> and <OL> are
> presentational markup.

Which elements are <p> and <ol>'s inline equivalents?

> And I support the existence of that class of presentational markup for
> documents on the Web.

there aren't. There's also inline quotes and their difference is only
significant on the presentational level.

> Using the same element inline and as a block is confusing.

Not at all. CSS authors do this *all the time* with <li> for example, to
make a menu present itself horizontally instead of vertically.

> Besides which, BLOCKQUOTE is legacy HTML.

I can't see how that's relevant, really.

--
Asbjørn Ulsberg           -=|=-        asbjorn@ulsberg.no