Re: argument for deprecating BLOCKQUOTE in canonical HTML/XHTML

At 11:47 AM 4/3/2007 +0200, Asbjørn Ulsberg wrote:
>On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 00:03:41 +0200, Murray Maloney <murray@muzmo.com>
>wrote:
>>A BLOCKQUOTE is a distinguished paragraph.
>
>Visually, right?

Visually, aurally, semantically.

>>It is presentational markup in the same sense that <P> and <OL> are
>>presentational markup.
>
>Which elements are <p> and <ol>'s inline equivalents?

They are block elements. They have no inline equivalents,
except when you write your style sheet to treat them as such
which may be confusing to your readers, but you are welcome
to do so.

>>And I support the existence of that class of presentational markup for
>>documents on the Web.

>there aren't. There's also inline quotes and their difference is only
>significant on the presentational level.

They make sense because they are a common feature of documents.
I haven't seen anybody complaining about <aside>, which is a distinguished
paragraph, or <section> which is a distinguished <div>.

>>Using the same element inline and as a block is confusing.
>
>Not at all. CSS authors do this *all the time* with <li> for example, to
>make a menu present itself horizontally instead of vertically.

I haven't seen <li> used that way in mixed text. That is, the same list
could be presented horizontally or vertically. But there usually isn't
text between the <li>s is there? <li> is a block element.

>>Besides which, BLOCKQUOTE is legacy HTML.
>
>I can't see how that's relevant, really.

One of our design principles is to not break the web. <blockquote> and <q>
should remain in play simply because they already are in play.