Re: ensuring the existence & enhancing the power of Q

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 23:52:48 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

>> Instead of enhancing the Q element, we should deprecate it and replace
>> it.
>
> Replace it with what?

A new element, <quote> for example.

> What should we do with the existing content that uses <q>?

It will still be supported, but deprecated in favour of <quote>.

> This has been an open issue in the WHATWG for a while but nobody has come
> up with a particularily compelling solution -- either the solutions drop
> compatibility with existing content, or existing UAs, or require complex
> CSS features. (My own proposal falls in the latter camp; it makes <q>
> require quote marks around <q> elements (author-provided), then provides
> complex CSS that can select those quotes for replacement -- for legacy
> unquoted content you get the quotes added by CSS, for everything else
> you get the author-provided quotes.)

Instead of shoe-horning this into <q>, isn't it better for future content
authors to have a <quote> element that has this functionality out of the
box as well as being able to replace <blockquote>?

--
Asbjørn Ulsberg           -=|=-        asbjorn@ulsberg.no