Re: ensuring the existence & enhancing the power of Q

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 21:52:48 +0000 (UTC)
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Cc: public-html@w3.org

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, L. David Baron wrote:

> Instead of enhancing the Q element, we should deprecate it and replace
> it.

Replace it with what? What should we do with the existing content that
uses <q>?

This has been an open issue in the WHATWG for a while but nobody has come
up with a particularily compelling solution -- either the solutions drop
compatibility with existing content, or existing UAs, or require complex
CSS features. (My own proposal falls in the latter camp; it makes <q>
require quote marks around <q> elements (author-provided), then provides
complex CSS that can select those quotes for replacement -- for legacy
unquoted content you get the quotes added by CSS, for everything else
you get the author-provided quotes.)