Re: ensuring the existence & enhancing the power of Q

On Apr 2, 2007, at 11:50 AM, Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote, quote:
>> This is gratuitously incompatible with HTML4.01, where the Q
>>  element's CITE attribute is a URI. I don't think "harmony"
>> justifies  breaking compatibility.
> unquote
>
> aloha, maciej - i wouldn't classify it as breaking compatibility,
> but as fixing an error in the 4.01 technical recommendation.

Whether it is an error or not seems like a matter of taste, but it
clearly does break compatibility.

> if SRC is used to point to a target, everywhere else but in the
> Q element, wouldn't you consider that more than a lack of harmony,
> but an error?

Actually, most places that point to a linked resource which is not
embedded use HREF, not SRC.

> as long as there exists a CITE element, why not bring the cite
> attribute defined for Q in line with the meaning of CITE as
> expressed by the element named CITE.
>
> this isn't trivial nitpicking, it's identifying an error and
> attempting to address it,

Error or not, we need to remain compatible.

Regards,
Maciej