Re: ensuring the existence & enhancing the power of Q

From: Gregory J. Rosmaita <oedipus@hicom.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 13:50:23 -0500
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org

Maciej Stachowiak wrote, quote:
> This is gratuitously incompatible with HTML4.01, where the Q
>  element's CITE attribute is a URI. I don't think "harmony"
> justifies  breaking compatibility.
unquote

aloha, maciej - i wouldn't classify it as breaking compatibility,
but as fixing an error in the 4.01 technical recommendation.

if SRC is used to point to a target, everywhere else but in the
Q element, wouldn't you consider that more than a lack of harmony,
but an error?

as long as there exists a CITE element, why not bring the cite
attribute defined for Q in line with the meaning of CITE as
expressed by the element named CITE.

this isn't trivial nitpicking, it's identifying an error and
attempting to address it,

gregory.

CONSERVATIVE, n.  A statesman who is enamored of existing evils,
as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them
with others.         -- Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_
             Gregory J. Rosmaita, oedipus@hicom.net