Re: [whatwg] Default (informal) Style Sheet

Sander Tekelenburg wrote:
> [Mike, you are making the communication more difficult by changing the
> Subject header without a good reason. Doing so fragments the discussion,
> makes it harder for people to keep track of what is said in relation to what.
> I'm changing the Subject back to what it was.]

That's the first time I've had someone complain about changing the
subject when the discussion changes!  Usually people complain about the
opposite!

I changed the subject line because by focusing on one part of your email
I changed the subject!  My subject was about discussing how UAs handled
fragment identifiers NOT about Default Style Sheets.  But I won't be
passive-aggressive and change it back as it's not a battle I care to fight.
>>> Similarly, it would make sense for the spec to say that
>>> "by default, occurences of title attributes must be clearly indicated to the
>>> user", and "occurences of LINK elements must be clearly indicated to the
>>> user". But not *how* they should be indicated.
>>>

>> Though I get your point somewhat, defining "how" is helpful because it
>> increases consistency.
>>

> What exactly, in the context of presentation, would be good about consistency
> *across* UAs?

See Jakob's Law of  Internet User Experience [1].

>> Maybe a "How (but only where applicable)" is the
>> better solution.
>>
> I've argued before for naming examples of possible implementations in the
> spec. That would help both UA authors and Web publishers better understand
> what the spec's intention is. But that's something entirely different than
> *requiring* a specific implementation.
Then we might be in agreement. :-)

--
-Mike Schinkel