[dxwg] Definition of "Schema" (as opposed to profile)

From: Lars G. Svensson via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 14:48:09 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
larsgsvensson has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/dxwg:

== Definition of "Schema" (as opposed to profile) ==
While we have agreed on a definition of "Profile" we still don't have a working definition (nor an agreed-on term for the implementation of a profile using a spedific technology, e. g. ShEx or XML Schema). I propose the use of "schema" for the profile implementation and the following definition:
"A schema is an implementation of a profile using a specific technology. Some schema languages are tied to specific media types, e. g. JSON Schema can only be used to describe the structure of JSON documents (application/json) and XML Schema only to describe XML documents (application/xml) whereas other schema languages are tied to specific technologies, e. g. SHACL and ShEx can be used to describe the structure of an RDF document whether the RDF document is expressed in Turtle (text/turtle), JSON-LD (application/ld+json) or RDF/XML (application/rdf+xml)."
Comments and other suggestions are most welcome.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/195 using your GitHub account