Re: [dxwg] Definition of "Schema" (as opposed to profile)

From: Nicholas Car via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 12:17:05 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
The Profiles Description work is designed to address these issues comprehensively, see [the profiledesc folder](https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/tree/gh-pages/profiledesc).

Referring to the [ontology diagram]<https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/blob/gh-pages/profiledesc/profiledesc.png>, we say that a *Profile* is a *profile of* something else and that an *Implementation Resource Descriptor* describes the way in which the profiling is done. The `ImplResourceDesc` class can do this with a resource format, a resource role and a resource type. These may be indicate the implementing resource (the thing doing the work of profiling) might be "actionable as code" like SHACL or "merely a document" like a PDF.

In the [examples given so far](https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/tree/gh-pages/profiledesc/examples), we have cases of a *Profile* that has both an "actionable as code" implementation and a "merely document" implementation, [see how the existing DCAT-AP profiling of DCAT is documented](https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/blob/gh-pages/profiledesc/examples/eg_dcat-ap.png) with both SHACL and document implementations!

--
GitHub Notification of comment by nicholascar
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/195#issuecomment-381402078 using your GitHub account