Re: Terminology: does an XML Schema "declare" a targetNamespace? "specify" a targetNamespace?

On 27/03/2011 14:47, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
> Thanks Michael.
>
> Let me put my spin on what I think you said:
>
>      Each element and attribute that is declared in an XML Schema
>      document acquires a namespace property by virtue of the presence
>      of the targetNamespace attribute on the xs:schema element.
>
> Is that correct?

Not quite. An Element Declaration has a property called {target
namespace}. You can find a list of the properties of an Element
Declaration here:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-1/#Element_Declaration_details

> This is an embarrassingly simple question:
>
>      A namespace is a "property" is an element. Yes?
>
> I've never thought of a namespace as being a "property" of an element. What other "properties" do element's have? If an element has attributes, are those attributes a "property" of the element?
>
> /Roger

Michael Kay
Saxonica