From: Michael Kay [mailto:mike@saxonica.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2011 9:22 AM
To: Costello, Roger L.
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Subject: Re: Terminology: does an XML Schema "declare" a targetNamespace? "specify" a targetNamespace?

targetNamespace is a property of a schema component which it acquires by
virtue of the presence of a targetNamespace attribute on the xs:schema
element of the schema document in which the XML representation of the
component appears.

Which is a mouthful, but to make it fit to go into the spec you would
have to add appropriate fonts, brackets, and braces.

But the important thing to note is that targetNamespace is not a
property of a schema, it is a property of a schema document.

Michael Kay
Saxonica