RE: [XML Schema 1.1] Does mode="none" on a subtype nullify the openness of its parent type?

Hi Michael,

I don't understand.

Consider this base type (with mode="interleave") and subtype (with mode="none"):

    <complexType name="Publication" abstract="true">
        <openContent mode="interleave">
            <any />
        </openContent>
        <sequence>
            <element name="Title" type="string" />
            <element name="Author" type="string" />
            <element name="Date" type="gYear"/>
        </sequence>
    </complexType>

    <complexType name="BookPublication">
        <complexContent>
            <extension base="pub:Publication">
                <openContent mode="none">
                    <any />
                </openContent>
                <sequence>
                    <element name="ISBN" type="string"/>
                    <element name="Publisher" type="string"/>
                </sequence>
            </extension>
        </complexContent>
    </complexType>

Now I declare the <Book> element to be of type BookPublication:

    <element name="Book" type="pub:BookPublication">

In the instance document, can I insert extension elements around the base type elements: Title, Author, Date? How about around the subtype elements: ISBN, Publisher?

    <Book>
        <Title>My Life and Times</Title> <-- around here?
        <Author>Paul McCartney</Author> <-- around here?
        <Date>1998</Date> <-- around here?
        <ISBN>1-56592-235-2</ISBN> <-- around here?
        <Publisher>McMillin Publishing</Publisher> <-- around here?
    </Book>

Thanks again Michael.

/Roger