Re: enabling/disabling assertions

On 16/01/2008, Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com> wrote:
> There's a conditional inclusion mechanism in XSDL 1.1
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-xmlschema11-1-20070830/#cip
>
> that answers part of the requirement; it's designed to enable facilities to
> be ignored based on the version of XSDL supported by the processor. It's
> been designed in the (perhaps optimistic) hope that it can be retrofitted to
> XSDL 1.0 processors.

Thanks - I'm being optimistic... Xerces doesn't seem to like:

<xs:assert vc:minVersion="1.1" test="..."/>

Is that the correct use?

> There's nothing in the spec however that allows you to switch off assertion
> checking if you're using a 1.1 processor that supports the facility. It
> could be a product option, however.

I was thinking more along the lines of a 1.0 process would validate
using the schema ignoring the assertions, while a 1.1 processor would
evaluate them.

That would allow me to put assertions in the schema now, and
distribute the schema, without the need for everyone to have a 1.1
processor to validate using it (with what would be assertion failing
being caught by the application as usual).

Maybe I'm thinking about this wrongly...

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com