Re: specify element type depending of same element attribute value?

Thank you for forwarding this.  I've only had the opportunity to take a
quick look, but it looks like an interesting piece of work.   It's clear
that finding appropriate means of capturing co-constraints will be very
valuable to the XML community.  I would be curious for your thoughts on
the relationship between the desire for powerful constraint checking that
the issues raised in the TAG finding, "The Rule of Least Power" [1].  It
seems to me that, to the extent practical, it is desirable to focus on
constraint languages that are simple and declarative, as I think that such
approaches will greatly facilitate the development of tools for
databinding, user interface creation, etc.  I don't think I've reviewed
your proposal in enough detail to have an informed opinion, but a quick
skim suggested that it points toward using somewhat more "powerful"
languages.  These presumably have the advantage that they can effectively
express more elaborate constraints, but sometimes at the cost of making it
difficult to easily discover that a particular constraint is in fact a
straightforward one.   This is a tradeoff that the Schema WG has been
wrestling with, as there too, some members are inclined torward approaches
that are more powerful (in the sense of the finding), and some are willing
to leave behind more difficult use cases in favor of a solution that's
easier to optimize and easier to reason about.   I'm curious whether you
have considered such tradeoffs.  Thanks very much.

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/leastPower

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation