From: xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org [mailto:xmlschema-dev-request@w3.org]
On Behalf Of George Cristian Bina
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 10:51 AM
To: Michael Kay
Cc: d_a_carver@yahoo.com; xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Subject: Re: xs:choice and xs:sequence question

Hi Mike,

I do not see reportig the place of the error in the XML Schema spec and
formulating a good error message as excluding each other. I agree that
some parts of the specification are not easy to read, however this is
not a subtitution of the error message, it is an enhancement to that.

I find this useful especially when people say: well that schema engine
reports that my schema is valid while Xerces[1] or oXygen reports this
error. Pointing to the schema specification saves a lot of time as you
have immediatelly access to the place in the specification that is
related with the error. If it is difficult to read that it is a lot more

difficult to take the whole schema specification and first look for the
place related to the error and then read that.

[1] oXygen uses currently Xerces 2.7.1 for validating XML schema files.
In the next release we added the possibility to use most of the XML
Schema processors: Saxon SA, XSV, MSXML 4.0 and .NET, LIBXML, IBM SQC.

Best Regards,
George
--
George Cristian Bina
http://www.oxygenxml.com

Michael Kay wrote:
>>oXygen reports the error with a link to the specification
>>related with that:
>>http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#cos-nonambig
>

> A tangential remark: I wonder how useful this is? I know Appendix C
says
> that validity errors "should" be reported citing the chapter and verse
of
> the spec, but is there really any serious prospect that the average
schema
> author will get any value from this? Your link points to the sentence:
>
> "A content model must be formed such that during .validation. of an
element
> information item sequence, the particle component contained directly,
> indirectly or .implicitly. therein with which to attempt to .validate.
each