Re: SV: SV: strict validation of any ##other namespace

Hi,

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 14:52 +0200, Bryan Rasmussen wrote:
> The question then is what LibXML2's response is if the instance document
> does not have a namespace matching the schema targetNamespace. One could
> create a schema, programmatically, with a targetNamespace not in the
> instance document and import the other namespaces in.

I assume you are referring to your example here, where we have a strict
element-wildcard, which hits an element information item in a namespace
not currently imported.

The "response" would be that the instance would be rejected as invalid.
But I'm not sure what you mean with "response": do you think of
a callback mechanism here? I.e. do you mean that the processor would
return to the code on your side and say: "hey, there's an unknown
namespace, do you have components for such a namespace at hand?" ?
The benefit I see in this would be the raise of
acquisition-efficiency in terms of memory consumption; this would
be a mechanism where components for a specific namespace are
created on demand.

I think I would simply start with the validator being fed with a
set of pre-compiled schemata to pick components from. I assume this
is the way MS has implemented this? Hmm, additionally a mechanism
to check if the sum of all the given components has any clashing
components.

> If Libxml2 does lax validation until the point of encountering a known

Currently Libxml2 wants an element declaration to be existent for
the given validation root.

> namespace, as some processors do (XSV iirc, XMLSPY sometimes but not every
> time), then this would be a technique for Libxml2.

Regards & thanks for the input,

Kasimier