Re: [Moderator Action] Date type and patterns

Danny Vint <dvint@acord.org> writes:

<snip/>

> XSV reports succes in validation but it also didn't recognize the problem
> before when the type was just date, so I'm not sure anything has been
> helped with this change.

As the status page [1] says, XSV does not implement most of the
primitive datatype semantics -- this includes all date-related types.

> When can we expect to have a refernece parser that is complete and
> accurate to the current version of the specs? I see we are already
> looking for input for 1.1 when we still don't have a complete
> implementation of v1!

Reference parser, as in one blessed by the issuing authority --
probably never.  The W3C has never blessed a reference implementation
of any of its standards, as far as I know.

There are a number of implementations that document themselves as
complete.  The areas of incompatibility are pretty small, and
shrinking with every release, in my experience.

Not surprisingly, and entirely parallel to the history of XT, XSV has
long-since been overtaken in terms of coverage by the offerings from
large vendors.  I'd like to think that what XSV rejects is probably
bad, but what XSV accepts is not necessarily good -- see above.

ht

[1] http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/xsv-status.html