Re: Schema Design: Composition vs Subclassing

Hi;

please forgive my impertinent interruption......

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Paul Kiel wrote:

> Thanks Jeni and Mark,
>
> You both have hit the crux of the matter exactly.  I guess I was hoping for
> that magical "other option" that would meet our needs and remain simple.

the fact that one doesnt seem to exist for what is a very reasonable
problem has increased my dissatisfaction with pure XMLSchema to a crucial
point.

this isnt the only 'cant do that in XMLSchema' that i have experienced
lately. my own cross to bear has been co-occurence constraints.

> I think we are just plain stuck with creating a different Person for
> each transaction.

bleah! it's a solution of sorts, and it's probably fine if it's going to
only be 3 different Persons. but what if it's 15? or 50?

> This won't prevent me from creating a model for
> reference and consistency, however.  One that is seperate from
> transactional schemas. That "pain" as Mark puts it is worth a bit of
> effort.  The derivation by restriction is not an option, derivation by
> extension (with external constraints) is a good approach but one that
> would take some convincing, and using abstract / redefine would be
> good job security for the schema editors like me but not so for domain
> experts who are newer to xml schema.

Would using Schematron payload in the appinfo field to define the
derived PersonTypes make the model simpler and more directly
extensible? sorry that it's such an off the wall suggestion, but it seems
like a good question to ask at this point since the pure XMLSchema
suggestions seem to be getting pretty contrived.

i dont have an explicit recipe of *how* you would describe it in
schematron.i have only paid attention to this thread from the perspective
of the large schema design and implementation issues, so i dont know your
specific needs.

i simply tossed this out because it solved my co-occurance constraint
problem, and the more i think of it, the more convince i am that it's  a
general, albeit hacky, solution.

(thanks go to eddie and roger and jeni and probably others that i am
unaware of for pointing out this solution in the first place)