RE: Schema Design: Composition vs Subclassing

As you point out, in the case of OAGIS 8 we found the use of restriction to
be too burdensome - too many copies of the same (meta)content to maintain,
too many complications with particle derivation. Instead, we went with a lax
model (all elements optional), deferring minimal cardinality checking until
after validation (e.g., using Schematron).

Until Schema's derivation by restriction improves (or until the IDEs offer
support for maintenance of derivations by restriction), we felt that this
was our only manageable option.

As always, it depends upon your circumstances and your threshold of
maintenance pain. If your type is not widely used, and if you don't mind
maintaining replicated definitional content, and you aren't hampered by the
constraints on derivation by restriction, then you would probably favor a
lax base class plus restriction.

But if you have a situation where the class is widely used (as in Person),
and/or where you want to both restrict (to nail down the cardinality
constraints) and extend (to add more content), and/or where your type
hierarchy will be used in substitution groups, you may end up needing to
approaching things differently, either by creating a variety of accidentally
related types (PersonBlend1, PersonBlend2,...), or by external constraint
validation.

In the case of restriction plus extension, you'll have to do that in
multiple derivation steps: PersonAbstract -> PersonConstrained1 ->
PersonConstrained1Extended.  That gets ugly fast.

And if your substitution group base is of type PersonAbstract and your
substitution element is of type PersonConstrained1Extended, you'll likely
run into derivation problems.

Mark

----

Mark Feblowitz                                   [t] 617.715.7231
Frictionless Commerce Incorporated     [f] 617.495.0188
XML Architect                                     [e]
mfeblowitz@frictionless.com
400 Technology Square, 9th Floor
Cambridge, MA 02139
www.frictionless.com