Re: Multiple inheritence in XML Schema

Deepak,

Chawla_Deepak@emc.com wrote:

> For some of the objects, I need to use multiple inheritence and I was
> wondering if XML Schema 1.0 has any support for this (or if there is a way
> around it). Most of the XML Schema books that I have refered to don't talk
> about multiple inheritence. If there is no support in XML Schema 1.0, is it
> being considered in later versions ?

I don't consider W3C XML Schema as strictly object oriented but rather
as a projection of the object oriented paradigm on XML trees...

That being said, if by multiple inheritence you mean that you need to
define content models which are combining pieces defined in different
schemas, the most flexible way is probably to use element and attribute
groups which can be combined together and redefined if needed.

I don't see how you could achieve this level of flexibility using
complex types which are defined through what could be compared to Java
subclasses (with no multiple inheritence).

Now, if you gave us an example of what you want to achieve, it could be
easier to propose something ;=) ...

Hope this helps.

Eric

--