Re: More surprises (ID, ENTITY, NOTATION, ...)

Henry,

Thanks for the demonstration!

Attributes are a specific case since XML 1.0 defines its own whitespace
processing for them...

Anyway, if I understand your explanation correctly, my mistake was my
perception of what is the lexical space: I thought that the lexical
space was what we got from a parser while I understand now that there is
a processing involved.

To make sure I get it right by now, I'd like to try to explain it with
my own words...

We can distinguish not 2 but (at least) 5 spaces:

1) The serialization space.

This is the "value" as actually written in the document after expension
of internal and external parsed entities. Per XML 1.0, this value isn't
significative and is submitted to the applications after a first
whitespace processign depending on its location (attribute or element)
and (when in an element ) to the xml:space attribute.

2) The parser space.

This is the value sent by a conform parser to the application after the
XML 1.0 whitespace processing.

3) The lexical space.

This is the parser space after W3C XML Schema whitespace processing
depending on the xs:whitespace facet of the datatype.

4) The value space.

This is the abstract concept behind the datatype.

5) The canonical space.

This is the ensemble of the canonical representations of the elements of
the value space.

(The canonical value may be difficult to determine for "special" types
such as QNames).

And the facets can be classified into 3 different categories:

1) xs:whitespace

This facet is the definition of the whitespace processing taking place
between the parser space and the lexical space.

2) xs:pattern

This is the only facet constraining the lexical space.

3) Other facets

They are all constraining the value space.

Would you agree with this summary?

Thanks

Eric

--