Re: More surprises (ID, ENTITY, NOTATION, ...)

Ross Thompson wrote:

> ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk writes:
>  > Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com> writes:
>  >
>  > > Many types (see below ID, ENTITY and NOTATION but there are more in the rec)
>  > > are defined with whitespace="collapse" which would have made me think that
>  > > leading and trailing whitespaces should be accepted and trimmed but their
>  > > description clearly says that their lexical space should meet a production
>  > > (NCName) which does not accept these whitespaces.
>  >
>  > All lexical constraints, including the 'pattern' facet of NCName,
>  > apply to the (schema) *normalized value* of elements/attributes, which
>  > is the _result_ of whitespace processing.  So it all works out just
>  > fine.
>  >
>  > See [1] for details.
>  >

> Section 4.3.4 of part 2 says:
>
>     [Definition:] pattern is a constraint on the value space of a
>     datatype which is achieved by constraining the lexical space to
>     literals which match a specific pattern. The value of pattern must
>     be a regular expression.

Yes, and that was my motivation to ask the question.

If I understand the answer of Henry correctly, the whitespace processing
which takes place before calculating the "actual value" which belongs to
the lexical space. Or, said differently, the lexical space isn't the
ensemble of the raw values seen in the documents, but the ensemble of
these values after whitespace processing.

Eric

--
Rendez-vous à Paris pour le Forum XML.
                    http://www.technoforum.fr/Pages/forumXML01/index.html