Re: More surprises (ID, ENTITY, NOTATION, ...)

Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com> writes:

> Many types (see below ID, ENTITY and NOTATION but there are more in the rec)
> are defined with whitespace="collapse" which would have made me think that
> leading and trailing whitespaces should be accepted and trimmed but their
> description clearly says that their lexical space should meet a production
> (NCName) which does not accept these whitespaces.

All lexical constraints, including the 'pattern' facet of NCName,
apply to the (schema) *normalized value* of elements/attributes, which
is the _result_ of whitespace processing.  So it all works out just
fine.

See [1] for details.

> Do we really want to forbid this ?
>
> <book>
>   <id xsi:type="xs:ID">
>     book1
>   </id>
> </book>

No, and it's not forbidden, it's just fine, just as

<foo id="
       book1
"/>

would be OK in XML 1.0 with id declared an ID, precisely because the
constraints on lexical form come _after_ whitespace normalisation.

ht

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#section-White-Space-Normalization-during-Validation