Re: what namespace for unqualified locals?

Brian Atkins <brian_atkins@firehunter.com> writes:

> If the form for local element is unqualified, what namespace, if any,
> to they belong to?  If they do not belong to the targetNamespace of
> the schema, how do they participate in validation?

The same namespace that unprefixed attributes belong to :-).  That is,
I like to say, they are _associated_ with the namespace of their
parent, but they're not directly in it.

> I am also confused about the relationship between scope and namespace.
> Consider the following schema:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <xs:schema targetNamespace='http://www.test.com/test'
>            xmlns='http://www.test.com/test'
>            xmlns:xs='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema'
> 	   elementFormDefault='unqualified'>
>
>   <xs:element name="test" type="mytype"/>
>
>   <xs:complexType name="mytype">
>     <xs:sequence>
>       <xs:element name="spam" type="xs:string"/>
>     </xs:sequence>
>   </xs:complexType>
>
> </xs:schema>

> What namespace is the element "spam" in?  I know it's in the scope of the
> type "mytype" in the targetNamespace.  Outside the schema itself (in
> instance documents or stylesheets, for example), complex types and,
> specifically, 'mytype' are not relevant.  How is this "spam" element,
> in this type, in this namespace, uniquely identified?

Point is, it can't be more uniquely identified than by specifying its
scope, because their could be _another_ local <spam> within a distinct
complex type definition.