Re: Restriction of complex types by changing minOccurs

Thanks Eric. I understand what you were getting at.
Nothing like a picture!

Regards
Michael

                    Eric van der
                    Vlist                To:     Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
                    <vdv@dyomedea        cc:     Mike_Leditschke@nemmco.com.au, xmlschema-dev@w3.org
                    .com>                Subject:     Re: Restriction of complex types by changing minOccurs

                    15/11/2001
                    11:14 PM

Hi,

Jeni Tennison wrote:

>>I suspect I still haven't quite understood. Specifically, I didn't
>>understand what Eric meant by
>>
>>"This would limit the recursion to the top level of complex type
>>definitions, which seems reasonable..."
>>

> I think he meant that when you restrict a complex type, the schema
> processor doesn't keep looking down the type/element/type/element
> hierarchy, expecting a (restrictive) change in the content of each
> element. Instead, you have to explicity specify that an element's type
> is a restriction of the base element's type.

Yes, exactly: if you have a complex type defining a content model such as:

<a>
  <b>
   <c>
    <d/>
   </c>
  </b>
</a>

and you want to change something on the type of number of occurrences of
"d", you will have to explicitely express the derivations of each of the
levels!

Eric

--
Rendez-vous à Paris pour le Forum XML.
                    http://www.technoforum.fr/Pages/forumXML01/index.html

This e-mail is confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this document is unauthorised and prohibited.  If you have received this document in error, please delete the email and notify me by return email or by phoning the NEMMCO Helpdesk on 1300 300 295.