Re: Semantics of a list datatype derived from another list

Eddie Robertsson <eddie@allette.com.au> writes:

> Hi,
>
> "Henry S. Thompson" wrote:
>
> > > I am implementing a Schema parser w.r.t the 24/10/2000 version, and
> > > I run into a problem with the definition of a list datatype.  As
> > > specified in 5.1.2, "a list datatype must be derived from an atomic
> > > or a list datatype, know as the itemType of the list...".
> >
> > That's a known typo, will be corrected to 'atomic or _union_
> > datatype'.
> >
> > Re another reply, you can include a list in a union, but that still
> > doesn't allow  a list of lists -- a union used as the item type of a
> > list can't contain any lists.
>
> I've had I look at the new specification (PR) and it says that a
> list datatype must be derived from an atomic type:
>
> 2.5.1.2 List datatypes
>
> "list datatypes are always derived. The value space of a list
> datatype is a set of finite-length sequences of atomic values. The
> lexical space of a list datatype is a set of literals whose internal
> structure is a white space separated sequence of literals of the
> atomic datatype of the items in the list (where whitespace matches S
> in [XML 1.0 (Second Edition)])."
>
> My interpretation is that a list type must be derived from atomic
> types only and not atomic or union types. Is this correct?

No, sorry.  See [1]:

  "A list datatype must be derived from an atomic or a union datatype,
  known as the itemType of the list datatype."

What _I_ can't find is something which says that when the itemType is
a union, _its_ members must not be lists, which I thought was there
but which I can't find at the moment.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#derivation-by-list