Re: Canonical XML Schema

"Arnold, Curt" wrote:

> > 1. It looks like you were stretching XSL to its limits! Would you
> > advise that XSL is suitable for this type of work or would Java be
> > better? Multi-pass seems an admission of defeat in some senses.
>
> Well, a lot of C++ compilers are multi-pass under the hood and I'd guess that Henry's XSV goes through multiple passes in interpreting a schema.  Just in this case, all the passes are visible which I
> thought was a good thing.  Using XSLT for this basically allowed me to think out loud.  The transforms definitely found bugs in the various XSLT processors that I tried.  While I'm at it, I should
> suggest that serial transformations might be a good thing to address in XSLT 2.0.

Note that it may also be addressed by the exsl community-based XSLT
extensions in XSLT initiative [1] currently being thrashed out on
xsl-list.

This features an exsl:return element which can return the same kind of
things that can be put into a variable - ie content by value, the
results of a select expression by reference. There's also a proposal for
an exsl:reference-of. (But returning results-of-a-selectexpression by
reference will in any case be way more powerful once we're defining the
functions that can go into these self-same select expressions...)

Francis.

[1] http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200102/msg01601.html