Re: Namespaces and namespace names: a new synthesis?

At 05:29 PM 5/29/00 -0400, John Cowan wrote:
>> What is the resource nature of a namespace?
>
>X is a resource iff:  1) X has an identity function (clouds are out,e.g.)
>and 2) there is an URI that identifies X.

I still don't see where this necessarily conflicts with the name nature of
a namespace, nor (especially) why this should be given priority over the
name nature of a namespace, which was the explicit project of the spec.

Developers who choose to use names that are ambiguous (aka relative) may
not be able to take advantage of this 'resource nature'.  Why is that so hard?

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth
http://www.simonstl.com