Re: Namespace-by-retrieval is consistent and coherent

From: John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>
Date: Mon, 29 May 100 17:36:23 -0400 (EDT)
To: cce@clarkevans.com (Clark C. Evans)
Cc: xml-uri@w3.org
Clark C. Evans scripsit:

> If the namespace spec defines when two namespace
> names are equivalent, then layered specs should
> respect this definition and not re-define it.

Fair enough.  But the converse can't be enforced: if a higher-level
spec decides to treat two things as the same that a lower-level spec
distinguishes, there's no stopping it.  E.g. "lang" and "xml:lang"
attributes are XML-distinct, but XHTML browsers should treat them
as the same.

	Yes, I know the message date is bogus.  I can't help it.
		--me, on far too many occasions