Re: Need for a Unified spec? Further XPath & Namespace Divergance

"Clark C. Evans" wrote:

> The language about "absoultizing" relative URI references is
> not the only divergance between the Namespace and XPath
> specification!
>
> The specifications also diverge on their treatment of the
> infamous "per-element-partition".  The XPath spec's notion
> of "equal" *ignores* the element part of the expanded-name.
>
> >From my reading of the XPath spec, the expanded name for
> att in <x:a att='val' /> is 'equal' to the expanded name
> for att in <x:b att='val' />.   While, according to the
> namespace spec, they would not be equal, as "a" != "b".

The namespace spec cares about equality only in one very specific context:
satisfying the constraints in Sec. 5.3 on uniqueness of attributes.  And
uniqueness is a consideration only when comparing attributes of a single
element.  So the fact that the namespace spec (more precisely, Appendix A.3
of the namespace spec) considers them unequal has no consequences.

Paul Abrahams