Re: URIs quack like a duck

David Carlisle wrote:

> If you have the underlying assumption
> that dereferencing the namespace name will return something relevant
> to the namespace then you will find most namespace processing strange
> and or broken.

I originally operated under that assumption because of the quack
principle: since looking at the resource located by a URI yields
something useful in most contexts, I expected it to yield something
useful in this context.  But I see now that the assumption is ultimately
unworkable.

When the namespace spec was written, I assume, URI references seemed a
convenient and harmless choice for the namespace name.  It's too bad that
the namespace spec didn't originally propose using meaningless unique
serial numbers instead.   Whether or not that proposal was approved, all
of these disputes would have been hashed out before the spec was issued.

Paul Abrahams