[simonstl@simonstl.com: Re: [xml-dev] UTF-8+names]

----- Forwarded message from "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com> -----

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:54:04 -0400
From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] UTF-8+names

richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) writes:
>In article <p06002008bbbc32627620@[192.168.254.4]> you write:
>
>>It might affect people who are wrapping to a specific line length,
>>especially if they have a longish encoding name.
>
>If you can show a single real document that this applies to, I'll take
>it more seriously.

I regularly get documents from authors where the XML declaration
includes line breaks.  They may not have to do it that way, but it's
certainly common 'in the wild', and I don't think that people would race
to remove them if they updated the version to 1.1.

I've been a longtime support of XML 1.1, but I'm really starting to
wonder if it's time to trash it and start over.