RE: The deep difference between request/response and fire-and-forget

David Orchard writes:

> The community at large looks at MEPs as abstractions on all bindings,
and that SOAP magically provide the silver bullet of transport
independence.

I think we need to word this more carefully, and in so doing I suspect we
may identify some disagreement at least between you and me.   Though I
don't feel I can speak for the rest of the community, I hope that what
most agree is:

"The community looks at MEPs as abstractions that help manage the
differences between bindings.  Some bindings implement some MEPs and some
implement others;  indeed that was the reason MEPs were created.  If two
or more bindings implelement the MEP you need, then there's a good chance
that your application can run over both bindings, probably with very
little explicit code to deal with the differences.  In that sense,
choosing to implement on each particular bindings the MEPs that the
corresponding transport can support reliably and efficiently allows SOAP
to magically provide the silver bullet of transport independence for
applications using those MEPs."

Of course, I wouldn't put it in quite this wordy form in a spec, but I
think it's important that the "community" agree to the above.  It's my
strong feel that's why we invented MEPs.

--------------------------------------
Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142
1-617-693-4036
--------------------------------------

"David Orchard" <dorchard@bea.com>
Sent by: xml-dist-app-request@w3.org
01/26/2006 06:26 PM

        To:     "David Hull" <dmh@tibco.com>, <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
        cc:     "Rich Salz" <rsalz@datapower.com>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
        Subject:        RE: The deep difference between request/response
and fire-and-forget

Not sure who you are ranting to?  The community at large looks at MEPs as
abstractions on all bindings, and that SOAP magically provide the silver
bullet of transport independence.  Or at least, that's what the ad
campaign says.  We are all violently agreeing, that looking at soap as
simply a perfect abstraction of all underlying protocols is just wrong.
You correctly say that the silver bullet abstraction is being described
incorrectly, to which I totally agree.

Cheers,
Dave