Re: Response envelope optional vs. response optional

I don't completely agree that this outlines the possibilities going
forward.  There are (at least) three sorts of transports to consider:

   1. Ones that act like HTTP, in which I would include ... HTTP
   2. Ones that act like UDP, in which I would include UDP and most
      pub/sub protocols, and maybe IM protocols and email.  These can be
      further differentiated by how much WSA-like functionality they
      include natively (e.g., email has WSA built in, except for Action)
   3. Ones that act like TCP, in that they are reliable and duplex, but
      not inherently synchronous.  This would include TCP itself and
      maybe BEEP.

This might not be the right analysis, but it's clear to me that HTTP is
not the only game in town, and to some extent it's one-of-a-kind.

We want to try to capture as much of the properties of these transports
as is useful.  IMHO, this entails /at least two /SOAP MEPs:

   1. request-optional response, which is essentially what we've been
      discussing.  In this MEP, the sender sends a SOAP message and one
      of the following outcomes happens:
         1. A SOAP message comes back
         2. A SOAP fault comes back
         3. A failure occurs
         4. Nothing SOAPy comes back, but the MEP completes successfully
            -- this is the new part, and the reason for suggesting the
            change to "optional response"
   2. fire-and-forget, in which the sender sends a SOAP message, the
      receiver may or may not receive it, and the sender has no idea
      what happened at the receiving end, but either side /may/ become
      aware of a failure.  As I've pointed out elsewhere (and which
      should come as no surprise), the first MEP can be defined in terms
      of this second.

We can declare a partial victory by defining (1), but in my opinion,
cannot declare total victory, in particular cannot claim to fully
support asynchronous messaging as required by WSA, without also taking
on (2).