Re: Issue 455 closed: Representation header and SOAP processing model

Jean-Jacques Moreau wrote:

> Hum... it's not my recollection and I don't see this in the minutes[1]
> either. Did I miss something obvious?
>
> If we were indeed to use @relay="true", there would be no need for a
> special role, and we could simply use "next", as was suggested initially
> by Noah.

The relay='true' is useful when the header is not processed. If this is
the only semantics needed then we do not need a new role. The issue is
what happens when the intermediary processes the header, in which case
the semantics of the relay attribute does not apply.

So if you never want the Representation header to be removed, then you
use the role 'sticky' and relay='true'.

> In addition, as Hervé reminded us recently, @relay only helps when a
> header block was understood but NOT processed. @relay does not help when
> the header block was indeed processed. This is where we need the
> additional semantics provided by "sticky" (or whatever it ends up being
> called), i.e. always reinsert even if processed.

+1

> Actually, it now really looks to me like we are augmenting our
> processing model with this new role. I don't think it's Representation
> header specific; hence I prefer the name "sticky" to
> "reinsertRepresentation". Simply "reinsert" would be ok.

I think that would be more appropriate.