From: Williams, Stuart [mailto:skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 03:46
To: 'amr.f.yassin@philips.com'
Cc: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Subject: RE: Final Proposal for Issue 41

Amr,

A couple of things... firstly the issue is about the there being no
provision *within a SOAP envelope* to identify the target "program,
service or object " so... I think the first sentence need to be extended
with "...within a SOAP Envelope." I think this is true of the ultimate
recipient, but we do provide a means (within the envelope) to identify
the role that SOAP header blocks are targetted to.

I am also uncomfortable that we place the responsibility on application
designers to effectively develop routing extensions for themselves. I
think applications designers will be looking to us for a set of
standardised SOAP extensions - otherwise we head for an interoperability
nightmare.So, I believe that responsibility comes back to this group
(probably under some future charter) to provide a single standardised
extension for the expression of message paths and the identification of
ultimate recipients.

<amended proposal>
Add the following text to (Part 1 Section 7: Use of URI in SOAP):

SOAP 1.2 does not provide any normative means to carry the identity of
the ultimate recipient within a SOAP envelope. SOAP 1.2 does provide a
means to identify the roles that a SOAP header block is targetted to.

SOAP 1.2 does not provide any normative means for the expression of a
message path with a SOAP envelope. However, it does provide means for
the development of SOAP extensions that provides for such expression
within SOAP header blocks. [Work to define a message routing extension
for SOAP may be the subject of future WG activity within the W3C.]
</amended proposal>

For the most part we have not actually addressed the issue, and I think
we should say so rather than cast it as a responsibility on the
app.developer. I've put the lats sentence in [] to make it optional,
since it sets some expectation - which may be inappropriate given that
they lay outside our current charter.

Regards

Stuart