RE: Resolving the Ed Note in Part 1 section 5.1 (was New Issues)

+1 from me as well. I believe SOAP (and WSDL) should deal exclusively in

+terms of XML Schema types and defer language/type system mappings to
+specs that are independent of SOAP.

DB

Issues)

> +1!
>
> Williams, Stuart wrote:
>
> > Henrik, Noah,
> >
> > Just thought that I would self identify as one of the 'Others...'
that
> Noah
> > mentions, althoug 'strong' disagreement :

> > In a discussion between TBTF participants (archived at [1]) I made
the
> > following proposal for resolving the ednote in Section 5.1 of part 1
> [2],
> > which I think is related to this thread of discussion.
> >
> > <quote>
> > Proposal:
> > ---------
> >
> > "The combination of the SOAP extensibility model and the SOAP
binding
> > framework provide some flexibility in the way that particular
features
> can
> > be expressed . Features expressed within the SOAP envelope MUST be
> expressed
> > in accordance with the relevant SOAP Module specification. Features
> > expressed outside of the SOAP Envelope (typically in a manner that
is
> > specific to the underlying protocol) MUST be expressed in accordance
> with
> > the relevant protocol binding specification. In cases where, for a
given
> > message exchange, a given feature is made available by more than one
> SOAP
> > module and/or protocol binding, a SOAP node has complete discretion
over
> > which particular SOAP module or protocol binding it delegates
provison
> of
> > the given feature for the given message exchange. The particular
choice
> may
> > be influenced by the combination of features require by the message
> exchange
> > and any other local factors, such as application preferences."
> >
> > Possible addition constraining the behaviour of a protocol binding:
> >
> > "A SOAP binding is required to convey an XML infoset representing a
SOAP
> > envelope and its contents between peer SOAP nodes without
modification.
> An
> > instance of a SOAP binding MAY inspect, but not alter, the XML
infosets
> > being exchange."
> > </quote>
> >
> > I think the additional piece if included (and wordsmithed) comes
close
> > addressing Henrik' concern:
> >

> >>One approach would be to say that the binding must
> >>pass through all unused information items unchanged. If this is the
> >>case, then I think a great deal of my concern would go away although
> >>this seems to be at least editorially located in another
> >>place than the current ednote
> >>

> > The rationale I offer for the inclusion of the additional sentences
is
> also
> > given in [1] as:
> >
> > <quote>
> > The second, perhaps grayer question, is whether a binding can
recognise
> the
> > elements with the envelope that provide a feature that the binding
> itself is
> > capable of supporting and having recognised such elements, remove
them
> from
> > the envelope and substitute it's own mechanisms for providing the
*same*
> > functionality - after all... who would know?
> >
> > My own answer to that question is NO. The SOAP provider has made the
> choice
> > of which provider of a feature to use, Module or Binding (indeed
> possibly
> > selected between many modules and many bindings that provide
overlapping
> > functionality). Having made that choice, it is not possible for the
> binding
> > to know whether the elements it snoops on were introduced by the
SOAP

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2002Jan/0111.html
> > [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part1/#NA54

Infoset