Re: Media types

On Tuesday 15 January 2002 12:33 pm, Paul Prescod wrote:
> > In this example, I'd say it's both HTML and XSLT.  However, HTML
> > has the advantage in determining how that XSLT should be
> > interpreted, since it's the container.
>
> Let's put it this way. The XSLT fully defines the meaning of the
> document. In fact, this document was cut and pasted OUT of the XSLT
> specifications. That specification claims that it is XSLT. The XHTML
> specification, on the other hand, specifically says that such a
> document is not "a strictly conforming XHTML 1.0 document".

It really doesn't matter what the specifications say.  You have to
associate a processor (read interpreter) with the document before it
makes sense one way or another. If I run an XHTML processor over it,
it will try to interpret it as such. If I run an XSLT processor over
it, it will try to interpret it as such. If I try to run a JSP
processor over it, it will try to interpret it as such.

There is nothing in the document that would force a choice one way or
the other. Claims that the outermost element should be the thing that
dictates the processing are misguided IMNSHO.... as I have yet to see
a truly universal processor capable of the infinite ways of processing
an XML file we might come up with.