RE: Media types

What are the things we are trying to describe here?
It looks to me like there are three concepts:
 - syntax (its xml, or binary, or etc.)
 - schema (the names and/or structures that are obeyed)
 - model (the particular structural rules for this instance of content, when
schema has choices)

I'm not as concerned about how these are represented, and where they show up
in a message, as I am about what we are trying to describe. Perhaps schema
and model are the same thing - perhaps there is a 'usage' slot, but this is
the level of question I'd like to see answered.

Mike