Re: Media types

 Norman,
 I don't think that multiple namespaces in a single document
should be a reason for not providing the type information.
 It is true that general XML documents can contain multiple
namespaces, but it is the root namespace that (IMHO usually)
defines what to do with the contents. In some cases the contained
namespaces are even a limited set, predicated again by the root
namespace.
 For example in SOAP there is the top-level namespace and then
each header and each body entry can (must actually) be in its own
namespace. Nevertheless, the overall handling is dictated by the
top-level namespace, not by the lower-level ones.
 Even if you say that application/xml or text/xml is sufficient
since the processor can check the namespace(s) itself, I think it
too would check only the root namespace and decide upon that.
 So I think having MIME type per XML Language is natural,
assuming of course that it is the MIME processors that dispatch
the messages to the appropriate XML processor, which it seems
many people think is the case.
 I myself can see us going in either direction with benefits -
clearer responsibilities if we force the dispatch upon namespaces
and not MIME types; more preprocessing (/dispatching) possible if
we provide the which-XML-language-it-is information in the MIME
type.
 Best regards,

                   http://www.systinet.com/