RE: Article: Fat protocols slow Web services

To echo John's point, many of people and companies involved in using SOAP
have come from a corba/messaging/lotso other legacy stuff background.  IMHO,
a highly optimized SOAP/HTTP would be more usable in low latency
environments, but we should deal with optimizations once we've figured out
where the bottlenecks are.  For example, I've found that connection
negotiation is often the largest single factor in peformance across a LAN
(30% of time for a XML/HTTP msg and 25% of time for a CORBA call).  As
always each person's mileage may vary.

Cheers,
Dave