Re: Article: Fat protocols slow Web services

At 03:59 PM 1/10/2002 +0000, John Ibbotson wrote:

 >>    People have been doing application integration for decades.
 >>    Most of it, as Francis mentions, is/was ad hoc.  Wall Street
 >>    has been using rpc, corba, tooltalk, tibco and home-grown
 >>    integration frameworks for a *long* time.  I've been doing this
 >>    type of work since the late 80's.
 >>
 >>    I hope you SOAP-ists don't think that "behind the firewall"
 >>    app integration is a new thing.
 >>

 >Don't worry Frank, some of us are making sure that SOAP is up to the job
 >for asynchronous and synchronous connectivity. There is still a lot of
 >education needed within the internet community on the advantages of
asynchronous
 >messaging :-)

	Totally agreed.  I would think that eventually, connectivity to
	Web Services will be done totally asynchronously (ie, pub/sub, jxta,
	jini-ish, etc) with the synchronous stuff happening on services
	side.  Wall Street shops have learned a lot about pub/sub for
	application integration over the past 15+ years.  Much of it was
	with the Tibco product, which was extremely useful, but it doesn't
	scale over the Inet (regardless of what their sales guys say) and is
	too heavyweight (and expensive) for a lot of things.

	Basically we're all marching towards bonafide agent-based computing... :)
	Maybe in 7-10 years...

	Sorry for the interruption.

	Frank G.