RE: Draft registration of application/soap+xml

Jacek,

	Yep, one can use any port number. No problems there and that is an
implementation detail.

	IMHO, it is not a question of whether you can or cannot. But
architecturally what do we do as an answer to the overused port 80 problem.

	Referring to use of http as a substrate
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moore-using-http-01.txt, I view
the "application/soap+xml" as a "substantially new service", thus requiring
a new port.

	a)	SOAP is a different animal than HTML,
	b)	it would be used by separate server processes and
	c)	most importantly there is a need for distinguishing this traffic
separate from others.

	Talking about a port number in the media type might be unconventional, may
be not. IMHO, I would like to RECOMMEND Port 90 used for SOAP traffic. Now
if we are using SOAP over ftp or SOAP/SMTP we might not. But the most common
use, SOAP/HTTP, should be on 90. Another dimension is the IPV6 which I
haven't thought thru yet. I think it is high time we think SOAP as a new
pervasive protocol and treat it as such. Like you pointed out may be this
means an HTTP clone. Again this is not going to happen immediately - what we
could do is to plan the seeds, provide initial recommendations and work our
way up.I am sure we will have more discussions.

cheers