RE: question about XML protocol requirements

I don't think that SOAP solves the problem.

The problem, as I understand it, is that the XHTML-Print document needs to
be split into several fragments so that binary images can be interspersed
between XHTML-Print fragments. The problem is that each XHTML-Print fragment
is not well-formed. Only the concatenated contents of all the XHTML-Print
fragments is well-formed.

I think that such a solution implies new Content-Types and rules for
assembling them.