RE: NameValue and NameValueList data types

The problem we (as an industry) have is that until we standardize the
representation of a name-value list, we will never achieve any true
interoperability of such a fundamental programming language construct as
name-value pairs.  An "Apache standard" for this type representation is not
going to provide this, neither is a Java representation or .Net
representation on their own - best case that gives us one representation for
each programming language, and worst case one for each soap implementation.

I do take your point that we cannot even hope to standardize the
representation of all possible types, and nor would we want to, but surely
we should try to specify all the *base* types to allow all the more complex
and industry / application specific types to be constructed from these.
My assertion would be that name-value lists are part of this base type
group, not part of the composable group.
Without this, every language mapping from WSDL has to recognize every other
possible "name-value like" schema type to map it correctly to the
appropriate native language type (java.util.HashMap in Java,
System.Collections.Hashtable in .NET, Hashes in Perl, etc.)

Turning your assertion round, Jacek, if partial and sparse arrays are
included, then IMHO so should name-value lists!  Both items seem to fall
into the "representations that cannot be constructed using schema
definitions in an interoperable fashion" group to me.

The real problem seems to come down to which spec this type of standardized
type encoding should be included in?  SOAP?  WSDL?  XML Schema?  XMLP?
The most natural place would seem to be the SOAP standard, which now falls
under the remit of this working group I believe, and which XMLP will
ultimately replace.  Correct me if I am misunderstanding the scope of this
group.

I think the Apache experience quoted below proves the need for standardizing
this representation, but without a single standard for this then all the
good work achieved so far by SOAP in improving interoperability between
Microsoft and Java/Non-MS systems will be destroyed or severely limited.
The worst possibly thing that could happen to this industry is if we slip
back into the "Walled Camps" view of the world where we have to spend all
out time building bridges!

	Jorgen Thelin
	Chief Architect, CapeConnect
	Cape Clear Software Ltd.