Re: DR 121: Additional transport services

Oisin Hurley wrote:

> This piece of text could be rolled in as an introduction to 612:
>
> "The XML Protocol WG recognizes that a number of XML messaging
> proposals use protocols other than HTTP, for example SMTP or BEEP.
> Although the WG encourages individuals and organisations to develop
> such bindings for XP, it will only provide a binding for HTTP
> initially.
>
> The XP specification must provide a normative description of the default
> binding of XP to HTTP. This binding, while normative, is not to be
> exclusive. Any protocol binding to HTTP must respect the semantics of HTTP
> and should demonstrate that it can co-exist with existing HTTP/1.0 and
> HTTP/1.1 applications."
>
> comments?

You are right, it does fit well.

However, I am slightly worried of adding even more complexity to an already
complex requirement (isn't DR 612 three paragraphs long already?). (Besides,
isn't section 3 called "In-Scope Requirements", and aren't we talking about an
"Out-of-Scope Requirement"?)

Jean-Jacques.