Re: Announcement: WWW9 Panel on XML and Protocols, 17 May 2000

Janet Daly <janet@w3.org> writes:

> Title: XML Protocols Shakedown
>
> Date: Wednesday 17 May 2000

> The Internet and Web communities are bubbling over with proposals
> for the use of XML in network protocols and distributed applications
> - XML-RPC, SOAP, XMI, WebDAV, ICE and IOTP are only a few examples.

> The panelists hope to engage the audience in the evaluation of a
> range of proposals, and continue discussion that separates out the
> needs for common, interrelated standards.

What can be done prior to this panel to improve the chances of this
panel achieving it's goals?

One of the biggest problems I've seen in discussions over the past six
months has been the lack of a common vocabulary or background
information.  We keep getting stuck in semantic differences (is HTTP a
protocol, an API, or both?  are RPC and messaging the same thing, or
are there differences?).

Six weeks ought to be enough time to finalize Eric Prud'hommeaux's
"facets", come up with a glossary of terms and draft definitions, and
a bibliography.

Someone needs to volunteer (or needs to be volunteered ;-) to handle
this and be able to spend many hours on it.  I would volunteer, but I
don't have enough hours outside of work to apply to it.  I can't tell
how much time Eric has, or if it's part of his assigned work with W3,
but he's definitely been leading the way so far.

  -- Ken

P.S. Eric's XML Protocol Comparison, with it's facets for comparison,
is available at <http://www.w3.org/2000/03/29-XML-protocol-matrix>.