Qualifier Combinations in CQL (Was: Bib-2 and the DC-Lib)

> Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 12:06:05 -0400
> From: Shuh Barbara <barbara.shuh@nlc-bnc.ca>
>
> Rob's right.  The modular design of the Z39.50 attribute
> architecture allows for the use of multiple attribute sets in one
> query.

Yup.  Not only that, but Rob's observation applies to CQL too, which
after all intends to model the Type-1 query quite closely.  You'd just
use CQL qualifiers with the appropriate util, bib2 or dclib
qualifiers, mixed and matched as required.  Something like --

	util:creator,bib2:personal,dclib:agentDetail=Kernighan

(Which, OK, is not a great example, but illustrates the combination of
attributes from different sets.)

BTW., as I understand it, CQL is not bound to use different prefixes
for attributes from different sets, although that's one nice way to
set things up: the CQL people are at liberty to define the generic
"bib" CQL qualifier set which includes all of the above attributes,
and use it like this:

	bib:creator,bib:personal,bib:agentDetail=Kernighan

Or indeed to define a single qualifier which encompasses all three
attributes in one fell swoop:

	   bib:personalAgentCreator=Kernighan

Whether they _should_ do this is a whole nother question, of course.
And perhaps one that belongs on the ZING list rather than the ZIG
list.)

)_v__/\  "The Pope claimed he'd been wrong in the past; this was a
	 big surprise" -- Sting, "Jeremiah Blues"