From: Mark Jablin [mailto:jablin@bridgetech-laramie.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2001 9:59 AM
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
Subject: Comment on double data type

I think you should reconsider the formatting allowed for the "double"
data
type.  Currently, you specify the following:

1267.43233E12, 12.78e-2

I think that for positive exponents, a + sign should be included, for
example, 1267.43E+12.  The reason I feel that this should be added is
that
both C++ and FORTRAN output numbers in scientific notation with either a
+
or - sign in front of the exponent, and not without.  The same
formatting is
done in Microsoft Excel.  In order to write a double in scientific
notation
that matches your specifications from C++ or FORTRAN, I have to copy the
number to a string and remove the plus sign, if it exists.  Please take
this
into consideration.

Mark Jablin, P.E.
BridgeTech, Inc.